Contact us at: 910-276-3385
Contact us at: 910-276-3385
The basic goal of the Sheriff's Citizens Academy is to improve law enforcement/community relations through a formalized educational process.
The Sheriff's Citizens Academy will present a wide range of topical training subjects condensed from the standard training curriculum of sheriff's deputies. By presenting this program, we hope to provide a broad educational experience which will acquaint attending citizens with the mission of sheriff's personnel and the requirements of law to which officers must conform while carrying out their prescribed duties.
Through attendance and participation in the Sheriff's Citizens Academy:
• Citizens will be able to make more informed decisions about the Sheriff's Office and law enforcement activities.
• The Sheriff's Office will become more aware of the feelings and concerns of the community, as expressed by attending citizens.
• Citizens and Sheriff's representatives will have an opportunity to explore together, some of the traditional suspicions and misconceptions generally harbored by both citizens and sheriff's deputies. Through open discussion of such suspicions and misconceptions, a more harmonious climate for relationships may be established.
The Academy consist of nine sessions that meet once a week, on Tuesday evenings, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. A variety of different classes will be provided. The classes are held at the Scotland County Sheriff's Office but sessions will be held at other locations and details will be provided.
If you are interested in participating, please fill out an application and return it to the Sheriff’s Office. We hope you will find the Academy an opportunity to learn more about your Sheriff's Office. Please consider contributing to the betterment of the Sheriff's Office and the Scotland County Community by taking part in the Academy. For an application for the Academy and a listing of the schedule: See our events calendar, download the below form or email us. You may also pick up an application at the Sheriff’s office.
The Scotland County Sheriff’s Citizens Academy is open to all interested persons of the age of twenty-one (21) or older who meet the following requirements:
1. Must not be convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor or have received a prayer for judgment for either.
2. Must not have pending charges for a felony or serious misdemeanor.
3. Must not be a current or former member of any criminal gang or organization that advocates the overthrow of any local, state or federal government.
4. Must pass a background investigation.
5. Must sign a Waiver and Release.
6. Any omissions or misrepresentation on this application will result in your application NOT being approved.
7. Participants MUST meet the attendance requirements (80% of class schedule).
8. Cannot be a current defendant in an active civil litigation.
9. Must participate in a one-hour patrol ride-along.
The Citizens Academy is designed to expose interested participants to the day to day law enforcement work of the Scotland County Sheriff’s Office and the Criminal Justice System in general. Applicants must be a least 18 years old; in good health and have no serious criminal record. Applicant under 18 (16-17) must be accompany by a parent or guardian. All information furnished will be considered confidential.